I found this. A rare Subaru coupe called XT 4WD Turbo. I have never seen it in my life, no over internet or magazines. But looking for cheap japanese cars I found it in a national used car website.
I took the pictures from the website to show it as is. Well is not so cool, but it has this taste of manga cars. The front end is close to the 3rd generation Honda Prelude and to be honest most of classic coupe of late nineties.
It is possible that if you are american problably have seen this car before somewhere. The orange side markers makes no dubts that car was build to the US.
The was some years in the past where cars were dressed with graphics. In many japanese cars this was a trend in early nineties.
Some information I found about this car is the next:
– The XT was loaded with features rarely found on small cars, such as a turbocharger, a computer-controlled engine and transmission, adjustable height suspension.
– The name Alcyone was used in Japan, the Vortex name was used in Australia and New Zealand.
– The 1988 Tom Hanks movie Big, the romantic lead, played by Elizabeth Perkins drove Tom’s character Joshua Baskin as a restored small boy, played by David Moscow back to his home in a red XT.
– Subaru produced 98,918 XTs, XT6s, and Alcyones. Surprisingly, only 8,170 of these were sold in the Japanese market.
– The Subaru XT6 was dubbed as the official car for the most valuable player for Super Bowl XXIII in 1989, eventually won by San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Jerry Rice.
3 thoughts on “Rare car of the day. Subaru XT 4WD Turbo”
I owned 9ne and loved it back in the day…it was quick. Handled very well and was just a blast to drive
I actually have one of these, however, it is a sad story. While looking for turbo parts, a wind storm blew a tree onto the roof, crushing the car. I may chop off the roof and build something out of it still.
Wow sad story. They were never sold in south europe so i was shocked when I found that car. Thank for your comment Dustin.